The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"
Last Saturday, we got to see our Community Garden Plot. We were lucky enough to get a plot this year, we tried last year but it was all full. This year they changed things up and did a lottery and miraculously our name was drawn! We have a great spot right along the edge of the gardens and next to the shed where they keep the "community" tools. We can plant anything we want in our garden and it is all ours to keep. Plus, that primo spot is ours until we don't want it anymore. So, since Jarrod couldn't help us with the plot this time, we decided to just go ahead and get the hay off the top. Kaitlyn raked for a little while, the other kiddos loaded the wheel barrel,I took the wheel barrel to drop off the hay, and the kiddos unloaded it onto the pile (it had to be spread over the pile). Then, Kaitlyn and I switched. This week we are going to add some compost and make our rows so that we can measure them off and decide what to plant. I kind of did a tentative planting chart, but I have since decided to skim it down a little bit b/c I don't want to do too much and end up disappointed. We are soo excited and can't wait to start planting! We are going to do some starts (we'll get those at the Farmer's Market next month) and some seeds (I'm not too sure how the seeds will do- I usually do better with starts). Here are some pics that Jarrod took that day.
Why try to explain miracles to your kids when you can just have them plant a garden. ~Robert Brault
Our Garden Plot
Kid's filling wheel barrel
Raking with Coen









No comments:
Post a Comment