Thanks to Tip Junkie I stumbled upon an Emergency Preparedness Web-Blog. It has a ton of great info and tips on how to be prepared for any emergency situation. I linked to the site on the left (under link)-it's labeled food storage. Jarrod and I have been discussing setting up our food stores just in case anything happens. We will be starting pretty soon and are thankful to have a Costco membership so that we can get some extra bulk items for the storage.
When I found the site, they were having a 7 Day Challenge. I happened upon it in the middle of the challenge, so I opted out since we were definitely not prepared. Here are the daily challenges and things I realized I need to get ready ASAP.
Day1- Natural Disaster- it's a flood
-def. need to get those food stock in order and set up 72 hr. packs
-need a good disaster kit (have some items just need to put it together)and a grab list ready to go
Day2-Pandemic- time for quarantine
-really need to get that food stocked and stock up on other storage items-batteries, flashlight, TP, paper towels, etc
Day3-Everyday Emergency- dinner guests
-need to have food around for quick easy meals for surprise/last minute visits
Day4-Economic Crisis-Money is Tight
this one wasn't too hard since we've sort of been there, done that, doing it now
-we have cut back on things and try not to do too much (not sure we do much of anything really that costs extra money) we've been doing free stuff to entertain the kids and we don't really eat out at all
-do need to learn how to make bread (find an easy recipe)
-need water stores (might finally get that rain barrel together)
Day5-Nat. Disaster-earthquake
-need car shovel (also want to get window breaker/seat belt cutter)
- need to stock freezer
- Need to back-up computers
Day6-Diet Disaster- healthy lifestyle
- we eat pretty healthy just need to cut back on sweets (will be hard since I LOVE to bake)
Day7-Everyday emergency- why didn't you ask for this sooner
- could probably make a quick treat with what we have on hand
-probably should get powdered eggs and some sort of shelf stable butter substitute (we usually have powdered milk- we keep it on hand for when we run out of milk in case it's not a grocery day yet)
Well, we are prepared in some ways, but we do need to work on the food/misc. storage- we would have a hard time making it with no food. So, that's where we will start. You should definitely check out the site. They have great info and links to things you may need. So, what are you waiting for, go check it out!
Judah's First Stitches
9 years ago









No comments:
Post a Comment