Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Home

I have finally gotten around to re-starting/reading the book The Home Experience by Devi Titus. I am still on the 1st chapter b/c I went back to re-read it and highlight areas of importance. I am hopeful that this book will help me out with our "home". It does not feel like home, I am not relaxed in it and I would never want anyone to come over and see the hurricane I have let my children create b/c I'm just "blah" right now. So, I am hoping this will help me and my family create our "home".

Right now I am in the process of the 1st chapter pt.2. I am at the point where she talks about how Home is the basis for our society. I thought I'd share what I read b/c you may have never heard of this book or you may have but forgotten this part. I found it particularly interesting and pertinent to now.
So, here are some points from the book-
-One of the most widely read books of all time is "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"
-Edward Gibbon gives 5 reasons why great civilizations die (I found these very pertinent to now)
- the reasons:
1. undermining of the dignity and sanctity of the home, which is the basis for human society
2. higher and higher taxes
3. the mad craze for pleasure: sports becoming more and more brutal and immoral
4. the decay of individual responsibility- building of great armaments when the enemy was within
5. The decay of religion; faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life, losing power to guide the people


I don't know about you, but reading that scared me. It seems like we have all 5 of those things going on and they've been going on for awhile. So, my first thought was "holy crap, how much longer do we have before our great civilization dies".

So, what are your thoughts?-those few of you that read this


*as some of you know school started and we had a Bday and another one coming. I will be updating on those soon. I promise

2 comments:

Bertie said...

I agree -- it is pretty scary and that is why it is easier for me to focus on what I can do here in my home and making it a home! Otherwise I get all freaked out and wonder what the world is coming to. We can make the change:)

I'll have to pick up that book!

lynn d said...

So true! I love hearing from you and other young moms who love their kids, husband, and family,and who want to stay home and make it a home! Makes me have some hope! God bless you in your efforts!