Friday, March 12, 2010

Coen's birth story (updated with pics)

(I wrote this awhile back and am just now posting it)


Ok, I have never done one of these before, but I thought it would be fun to have a record of the day to remember. I may even go back and sum up the other kids' births without as much detail since I can't remember exact times and stuff anymore.
It all started Jan. 4th at my Drs. appt. My group B Strep test came back positive, so Dr. Givler did not want me to go into labor on my own b/c we needed to get some antibiotics in for a certain amount of time before Coen came out to meet us. So, we scheduled an induction for 7:30a on Jan. 11th. Jarrod's parents were scheduled to come up on the 14th to watch the kids, so we had them reschedule their flight so we'd have someone to watch the big kids. Thankfully they were able to change everything and get here the night before. Thankfully, I am a big planner and I was packed and everything in mid December -just in case. So we were fully prepared for the hospital trip (when I say we I mean Coen and I, Jarrod is a little bit of a procrastinator, so he packed Sunday)

Monday morning at 5:30am the hospital called and said that they had filled up overnight and we couldn't come in at our scheduled time and to give them a call at 10 and see if anything was available. So, I called at 10-nothing avail. I called again at noon-still nothing. So, I finally caved and told Jarrod to go get us some lunch b/c I was starving. he looked at me and said- So you don't think we're going in today? and I replied either we're not or you'll get my lunch and they'll call and say we need to come now. So, he got home with my lunch, the hospital called and said they had a room and we hurried over to L&D. I did not get my lunch, but we were having a baby and thankfully around 11 I had some toast. We arrived at the hospital around 1:30. They got us set up in a room, put my IV in and started me on the antibiotic. I got a round every hour (they atleast wanted 1 round, but 2 rounds is what the Pediatricians usually like- I got 2). They checked me when I got there and I was at 5cm. 80% effaced and a -1 station. I hung out reading and getting short naps until epidural time. I got my epidural around 3pm- oh how I love epidurals. They broke my water at 4:30p and we waited to see if I would progress at all on my own b/c we wanted to try and do it without Pitocin. After an hour I was still a good 5cm, but the contractions weren't too close or anything so I decided to go with the Pitocin. We barely used any since I really didn't want to use it in the first place, but I also didn't want to be there all day waiting- I was ready to see Coen. After the Pitocin got started around 6p it was about 30 min and I was already at a 9 with the "pressure". So they checked and he was close, so they had me roll over on my left side and after a few minutes (an I mean a few) he was ready to go. I rolled back over and pushed maybe 3 times- I was slow pushing b/c Jarrod got to deliver him and I don't think we wanted COen coming out too fast and Jarrod missing =). So we took the delivery part pretty slow so the Dr. could tell Jarrod what to do. After Coen popped out I got to kangaroo hold him while Jarrod cut the cord. I got to hold him like that for about an hour and feed him,then we went to go to the nursery to show the kids and Jarrod's parents baby Coen through the window.

We got this awesome room. Normally it is a ward, so it would have held 3 beds, but we got it all to ourselves. We decided to stay just the one night. I was feeling fine, Coen was doing great and we all wanted to get restful sleep at home. We left the hospital around 8pm on the 12th b/c they had to do Coen's 24 hr. oxygen check. Thankfully it went quick and we got out of there before it got too late.

We are all doing great. Jarrod took off until Thursday, so he is getting in some good Coen bonding time until then. I am getting to hang out and relax- loving my PJ day today. Coen is a great nurser and the only thing we need to work on is he is a night owl. Even in the womb he slept all day and would be up all night kicking me and moving around, so we need to reverse that. Back in the day, I wouldn't have minded b/c I was a night owl, but not so much anymore. It's hard to get up at 6 and get the kids to the bus when you've been up all night. So hopefully he'll catch on sooner than later.

Here are some pics of our newest little angel. He's a cutie and the kids love him sooooo much. Jude just adores him and the girls think he's great-which is awesome!




No comments: