Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

Yesterday was a good Valentine's Day. Jarrod's parents are here AND he took the day off, so we got to hang out with family and we got a date night. Date nights where we actually get to go out without kiddos are few and far between now that we don't have family around, so it was great to be able to go out last night. I made some Red Velvet Whoopie pies for the kids to give their teachers (9 teachers between the 2 of them!) and to their bus drivers (3 of those). I had 13 left over, so we did get to try them and they were YUMMY! I will definitely be making those again. They were also super easy. Emma had a Valentine's Party (which I missed this year) and she got to make a Valentine's box for her cards. It came out super cute! Kaitlyn got a few cards from friends and I sent both girls a Valentine-gram that we purchased from the PTA for $1 each. They were super surprised to get something from us.
Jarrod and I went to Blue Canyon for dinner- he had salmon with a root beer glaze, mashed potatoes and asparagus and I had chicken scallopini it was yummy. But, like I tell Jarrod, Valentine's Day is all about dessert (at least for me). I could have had Burger King as long as I got some yummy dessert somewhere. So, we headed over to Bernice's Bakery for dessert and he got Grasshopper Cake and I got a dessert sampler of sorts. I LOVE to make cupcakes and I love trying out new cupcake flavors, so I got a lavender cupcake- white cake with lavender buttercream. I can't even describe this cupcake and have it come across as yummy as it was, but I will say that the lavender flavor was so much better than I thought it would be. It opens up your senses sooo much. I tasted it and all I could think of was "Wow, this is what my lavender bath salts smell like". It was a winner. I also got a tuxedo cupcake- chocolate cake with a caramel bourbon filling and a chocolate tuxedo buttercream. This one was a winner too. I did decide though that I probably would have liked it better with a vanilla buttercream. The last thin I got was a a mocha filled eclair type dessert. I absolutely love eclairs and this one was to die for. The mocha filling was absolutely mouth watering. I did share all of these with Jarrod and he shared his cake. The only thing he didn't eat was the eclair (he hates them), but I did make him try the filling. We rated the from our favorite to least favorite (no rating of the eclair b/c he hates them and it would have come in last). We liked the Grasshopper cake the best, then lavender cupcake and tuxedo cupcake. The only reason the tuxedo cupcake came in last was b/c I think with the chocolate buttercream it was a little too rich. I also thought the chocolate cake was a little dry. We are definitely going back there and I think every time I go I am going to make my own little cupcake sampler plate. They had a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing dipped in ganache that I wanted to try soooo bad, but I couldn't bring myself to get anything else. I did take pictures, but I have to figure out how to get them off my phone, so I will update with them when I figure it out. I can't wait to get back to Bernice's and try out some more cupcakes!


Updated!
Here are the pics I took at Bernice's-

No comments: